Install and configure the Cloud Monitoring Agent
This article describes different methods for installing and configuring the Cloud Monitoring Agent on a cloud server. You install the Cloud Monitoring Agent on the servers you want to monitor. The agent gathers data based on the checks that you configure, including checks for host information and host metrics, and custom-defined checks.
For a list of supported operating systems on which the monitoring agent can be installed, see Cloud Servers with Managed Operations Support for Linux.
This article describes the following tasks:
- Install the monitoring agent by using the Cloud Intelligence interface
- Install the monitoring agent using meta packages
- Configure the monitoring agent by using the agent setup program
- Install the monitoring agent using other methods
- Upgrade the monitoring agent
- Uninstall the monitoring agent
We recommend using the Cloud Intelligence web-based interface to install and configure the monitoring agent. The Cloud Intelligence interface provides easy installation and set up as well as graphs for visualizing Cloud Monitoring. The Cloud Intelligence interface has many more monitoring configuration and visualization options than the Cloud Control Panel, including three methods for installing the monitoring agent: Quick Install, Step By Step, and Source.
To use the Cloud Intelligence interface to install the agent:
- Log in at intelligence.rackspace.com with your Cloud Control Panel login credentials.
- Click the name of the entity (the object or resource that you want to monitor) for your server. If your server is not a cloud server or cloud database from Rackspace, create the entity by entering the name of the server that you want to monitor, and then clicking Create Entity.
- In the Monitoring Details section of the entity details page, click Install Agent next to the Monitoring Agent option.
The Monitoring Agent Installation page opens.
- Choose the platform of your server and then click one of the following tabs:
- Quick Install: This method provides a simple command that you can copy and then paste into a shell window after you are logged in to the server that you want to monitor.
- Step By Step: This method provides a series of commands that give you insight into the agent installation process.
- Source: This method takes you directly to the open-source agent pages where you can download the agent.
3. Completing the steps for any method installs the agent immediately. You can then continue to create checks for the agent, which you can also do within the Cloud Intelligence interface.
The meta packages installation obviates the need to install the certificate or create a repository manually.
1. Log in to the server that you want to monitor.
2. Open a browser to the Rackspace Cloud Monitoring Meta Packages page.
3. Find your operating system and enter the commands provided.
After you have installed the agent package on your server, you can configure the monitoring agent by running the agent Setup program. The agent setup program completes the following configuration tasks for you:
Configures an agent token that the agent uses to authenticate with Cloud Monitoring.
Creates an agent configuration file,
rackspace-monitoring-agent.cfg. Note: Cloud Monitoring now supports debug logging based on the configuration file.
Verifies connectivity to the Rackspace data centers.
Associates the agent with a monitoring entity.
For more information, see the Configure the agent with the Setup program section in the Rackspace Cloud Monitoring Developers Guide.
For more information about the monitoring agent and in-depth installation and configuration information, see the following sections in the Rackspace Cloud Monitoring Developers Guide, Install the agent and Configure the agent sections.
The agent does not upgrade itself. However, if you've added the agent repository to a Linux system, the agent is upgraded when you run a system update.
For Windows and other systems that do not have the agent in a package repository, you must upgrade the agent manually by following the installation instructions found in the Cloud Monitoring API Developer guide.
If you upgrade manually, we recommend that you check for an upgrade to the agent every three to four weeks.
Use the standard method for your operating system to uninstall the agent.
Ubuntu and Debian
On Ubuntu and Debian systems, run the following command:
sudo apt-get remove rackspace-monitoring-agent
CentOS, Red Hat, and Fedora
On CentOS, Red Hat, and Fedora, run the following command:
sudo yum remove rackspace-monitoring-agent
On Windows, use the Add/Remove Programs utility in the Windows Control Panel.
After you have installed and configured the monitoring agent, the next steps are to create checks to gather metrics (specific data points) and alarms that trigger a notification at certain thresholds. You also need to create a notification and notification plan. For details about performing these steps in the Cloud Control Panel, see Rackspace Cloud Monitoring Checks and Alarms and Creating a monitoring check using the Control Panel.
Carry on the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
© 2015 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER