The Rackspace Technology Commitment to Community: A Recap of Rack Gives Back 2023
by PJ Lovejoy, Senior Manager, Racker Experience & HR Communications, Rackspace Technology
Rackspace Technology has been dedicated to giving back, fostering a culture of compassion among Rackers that transcends borders. As we head into 2024, we’ll take a moment to reflect on the significant impact our Rackers have made in communities around the world this year.
Our commitment to giving back is part of the Rackspace Technology DNA. We pride ourselves on going above and beyond — delivering Fanatical Experience® not only for our customers, but also for our communities and one another. This is more evident than in our Rack Gives Back program, through which designated funds and paid time off for volunteering empower Rackers to contribute to their communities’ wellbeing.
In 2023 alone, the Rack Gives Back program raised more than $171,000, organized 25 global community service events and donated more than 18,000 volunteer hours.
“The legacy of Rack Gives Back has always been built on our Core Value of Compassion,” said Lindsey Stich, Rack Gives Back program manager. “And Rackers are the heartbeat that enables our compassion to reach communities worldwide and help others in times of need.”
Making a global impact in local communities
The impact of Rackers' efforts resonates globally, with individuals from every corner of the world collaborating in global campaigns with a local flair, supporting organizations and providing aid to those close to home. From addressing world hunger to providing relief for natural disasters, these campaigns have become integral to our annual commitment to giving back in the communities in which we live.
In 2023, Rackers participated in a wide range of programs aimed at bringing compassion to communities, including:
- Global Give Back: During the month of April, Rackers hosted 14 different Give Back events around the world and donated more than $3,000 to non-profits during the Corporate Month of Giving.
- Collaboration for social impact: Rackspace partnered with visit.org to host community social impact events worldwide, while raising more than $15,000 for causes such as mental health education, diversity and inclusion, women's rights, and arts and culture.
- Blood drives: Rackers in San Antonio, Texas and Gurgaon, India, gave the gift of life through blood community drives.
- Fill a Box, Feed a Family: Our 18th annual event raised funds for the San Antonio Food Bank, providing Thanksgiving meals to more than 500 families in the neighborhoods surrounding our headquarters.
- Relief efforts: Rackers raised over $35,000 through a company matching program to support earthquake relief in Turkey and Syria.
- NextGen innovators: Rackers mentored fourth- and fifth-grade students, introducing them to STEAM concepts and encouraging the development of future technology leaders.
- DKMS: Rackers in the UK raised awareness for DKMS: Delete Blood Cancer, contributing over nearly $2,000 to the cause.
Giving begins at the core
Rackspace Technology has always been and will always be a company propelled by service and community. To support this mission, Rackers are offered generous time off, including a minimum of 40 hours of paid volunteer time a year to use in the service of organizations and causes they care about.
Also, Rackspace Technology hosts regular wellbeing programs, offers opportunities to give back through employee resource groups, and, for our more tenured Rackers, offers sabbatical grants and an extended paid leave to use in service to organizations that have significance for them.
“We are one team, doing the right thing for our customers, communities and each other,” Stich said. “We have always hosted company-sponsored giving events, but it’s the Racker-led and Racker-created events that are so cool to see come together. We celebrate our individuality and recognize that everyone has different passions and ways they would like to give back and make a difference in the world.”
As we continue our giving journey, our global Racker community is poised to make a lasting impact through the Racker Core Value of Compassion — and our unwavering commitment to providing Fanatical Experience® to our communities through Rack Gives Back.
Rackspace University Enables Execution through Education
January 23rd, 2024
Our Journey through AWS re:Invent 2023 Highlights — Recap and Wrap-up
December 7th, 2023