NOTE: This article is written for our Classic Cloud Control Panel. You can access this interface from the New Cloud Control Panel by clicking your username in the upper-right of the control panel and selecting "Classic Cloud Control Panel".
NOTE: It's possible to use an easy one-click install process with Drupal on Cloud Sites instead of the instructions below. For more details, please see this blog post.
- Administrative access to the Rackspace Cloud to create domains and add databases
- Latest Drupal version from http://drupal.org/ uncompressed in a local repository.
- ftp access to website, and a ftp client like ExpanDrive
- NOTE: The domain must have php enabled, and database feature selected. The database feature can be added by using the CHANGE PLAN hyperlink on the domain General Settings tab.
- Upload Drupal files from the local repository to the desired location on the website using FTP - Refer to Upload content to a website using FTP
- To integrate Drupal to the root of domain (e.g. http://example.com/), place all contents of the unzipped Drupal directory (but excluding the directory itself) into the root directory of web/content.
- To have the Drupal installation in its own subdirectory on the website (e.g. http://example.com/info/), rename the directory drupal to the name of choice and place it on the web server, for e.g. for drupal in a subdirectory called "info", rename the directory called "drupal-xx" to "info" and upload it to /web/content/.
- Next create a new Mysql database (e.g. prefix_drupal62) with user (e.g. prefix_drupal62) (Refer to * Add a MySQL database to a website or domain).
- Note the database information a) database name b) user name c) password d) hostname (not localhost) for use during the Drupal installation.
- With this, Cloud Sites specific steps are complete. We can get started with the installation of Drupal.
- Duplicate/copy default.settings.php to settings.php in the /sites/default and ensure write permissions on settings.php
- Visit the index page of the website, e.g. visit: http://www.example.com/info
- If DNS is not setup for the domain, use the Testing URL, e.g. visit: http://www.example.com.php5-7.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/info. The installation page will show up.
- Follow on screen prompts to continue the installation.
- Select the language to complete the install and run the application.
- Make any necessary changes after the install script has checked permissions on the /sites/default directory.
- Enter database connection information by clicking on the Advanced Options link and changing the Database Host field from "localhost" to the appropriate database hostname. Drupal will now create the required tables for the site's database.
- Provide details concerning the site and admin account. Click the Save & Continue button.
- After the installation completes, revert permissions on the /sites/default directory and configuration file back to 755 for security purposes if needed.
- To use "clean URLs" through mod_rewrite, modify Drupal's .htaccess file. After "RewriteEngine on," ensure there is a "RewriteBase /" on the next line. If the Drupal install is in a sub-directory, then include the subdirectory e.g. "RewriteBase /info".
- Drupal is fully functional and the software can now be accessed based on where it was installed
- If Drupal files are placed in the root directory, e.g. visit: http://www.example.com
- If Drupal is in its own subdirectory called info, e.g. visit: http://www.example.com/info
- If DNS is not setup for the domain, visit the Testing URL provided in the Classic Cloud Control Panel under then General Settings tab, e.g. http://www.example.com.php5-7.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/info
- Sign in as the administrator and customize site as needed.
- For better performance and to reduce use of compute Cloud Sites compute cycles, turn on normal caching.
---RKN - 12/6/2009
© 2011-2013 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER