Creating an image backup (cloning) and restoring a Cloud Server from a saved image
This article guides you through the process of Creating an image backup (Cloning) and restoring a server from a saved image in the Cloud Control Panel.
Note: While you can create a different size server from that of the saved image, you must still use the same base OS version.
1. Log into the Rackspace Cloud Control Panel.
2. Click Hosting and then Cloud Servers. Next, select the server you want to clone by clicking on it in the list of servers.
3. After the Server Information page loads, click the Actions cog and select Create Image. Or if you prefer, you can click the Create Image button under Images on the Server Details page.
4. Enter a name for the image, and click the Create Image button. After the image has been saved, you will see it listed in the Server Images table.
1. Select Saved Images from the Clound Control Panel Navigation.
2. Locate the image you want to build a server from and click the Actions cog.
3. Select Create Server from Image.
4. Enter a Server Name for your server and then select the region.
5. In the Flavor section, select the Flavor Class, either General Purpose, Compute-, I/O, or Memory-optimized server.
6. Under Advanced Options, select Manual or Automatic disk partitioning, and then click Create Server.
Note: You will only see this option if your image is compatible with advanced disk configuration.
7. Click the Create Server button to create the server.
8. When presented with your Root Admin Password, copy the password to a secure location, and then click Dismiss Password.
9. Your server will now go through the build process and will display a Building notification. Once completed, it will then state Running, after which you are ready to RDP or SSH in your server.
After the server is created, its status is displayed as Active. You can then log in to it by using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) for Windows, or SSH for Linux, depending on your server's OS.
Note: The process of building a server from a previous backup image can be a time-consuming process depending on the size of the server.
© 2014 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER