This information is intended to get customers started quickly on Cloud Files. This guide is intended to provide a high level conceptual overview and general instructions to enable you to get started quickly and serve content over Akamai's CDN service. Cloud Files from The Rackspace Cloud is an offering which allows you to store data on the Rackspace infrastructure. A control panel allows customers to accomplish most tasks for managing data. Key Concepts are documented in an article, but in a nutshell they are as follows.
- Cloud Files is a “cloud” storage system and not a traditional file system.
- Customers need to create “Containers” in the storage system to store data.
- You cannot create Containers within other Containers.
- Customers can have any number of top level Containers.
- Your data is stored in “Objects” within those Containers.
- You can have any number of Objects within a Container.
- Objects can vary in size from a few bytes to very large.
- Customers can interact with Cloud Files through the Rackspace Cloud Control Panel or language specific programming interfaces.
Cloud Files Usage Scenarios
There are a number of basic usage scenarios for Cloud Files. We have classified them based on user objectives.
For Application Developers
For Content Providers and Website Designers
For IT Managers
- Check out some Cloud Files tools which can ease day to day operations such as data backup and archival.
For all users
Additional Cloud Files Resources
© 2011-2013 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER