NOTE: This article is written for our Classic Cloud Control Panel. You can access this interface from the New Cloud Control Panel by clicking your username in the upper-right of the control panel and selecting "Classic Cloud Control Panel".
In this article we look at manually installing WordPress on Cloud Sites by uploading the appropriate files and setting up an associated database.
Rackspace has a one-click WordPress installation option available that serves as an alternative approach for new Cloud Sites (it is not available for existing sites at this time). You can find more information in this article on the one-click WordPress install.
- Administrative access to the Rackspace Cloud to create domains and add databases
- WordPress software from http://wordpress.org/download/ uncompressed in a local repository
- FTP access to website, and a FTP client like ExpanDrive
- NOTE: The domain must have database feature selected. The database feature can be added by using the CHANGE PLAN hyperlink on the domain General Settings tab.
- Upload WordPress software files to the desired location on the website using FTP - Refer to Upload content to a website using FTP
- To integrate WordPress to the root of domain (e.g. http://example.com/), place all contents of the uncompressed wordpress directory (excluding the directory itself) into the /web/content/ directory which is the root directory of the site.
- To have the WordPress installation in its own subdirectory on the website (e.g. http://example.com/blog/), rename the uncompressed wordpress directory to the name of choice and place it on the web server. For e.g. to create a WordPress installation in a directory called "blog", rename the directory called "wordpress" to "blog" and upload it to the root directory of the web site.
- Next create a new Mysql database (e.g. prefix_wp20) with user (e.g. prefix_wp20 ). To create the database within the Cloud Sites infrastructure please refer to our article on Adding a MySQL database to a website or domain. If you prefer to use our Cloud Databases service you can follow the instructions in this article on using Cloud Databases with Cloud Sites.
- Note the database information a) database name b) user name c) password d) hostname (not localhost) for use during the WordPress installation. This can be found by clicking on the hyperlink for the new database just created in the "Databases" section of the website "Features" tab.
- Run the WordPress installation script by accessing WordPress for the first time in your favorite web browser.
- If WordPress files are placed in the root directory, e.g. visit: http://www.example.com/wp-admin/install.php
- If WordPress is in its own sub-directory called blog, e.g. visit: http://www.example.com/blog/wp-admin/install.php
- If DNS is not setup for the domain, use the Testing URL provided in the Classic Cloud Control Panel under the General Settings tab, e.g. http://www.example.com.php5-7.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/blog/wp-admin/install.php
- With this, Cloud Sites specific steps are complete. Now follow on screen prompts to continue the installation.
- Provide the necessary database information recorded during the preparation phase and press the Submit button
- Provide details such as blog name , admin email address and press the Install button
- Use the generated password to login as admin and then change the password if needed.
- WordPress should now be fully functional and accessible based on the install location
- If WordPress files are placed in the root directory, e.g. visit: http://www.example.com
- If WordPress is in its own subdirectory called blog, e.g. visit: http://www.example.com/blog
- If DNS is not setup for the domain, visit the Testing URL, e.g. http://www.example.com.php5-7.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com/blog provided in the Classic Cloud Control Panel under the General Settings tab.
--RKN - 12/6/2009
© 2011-2013 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER