Zipit Backup Utility for Cloud Sites - Linux
The Zipit Backup Utility is a tool that enables users to compress and back up data on Cloud Sites, including files and mysql databases. All backups are stored on your Rackspace Cloud Files account. The backups are done on a site-by-site basis and are initiated manually. There is also an option for setting up automated backups utilizing a Cloud Site's Scheduled Task (cronjob).
The Zipit Backup Utility is run from your account and does not externally store any of your personal information such as your database credentials or Cloud Files API key.
For a more streamlined tool just for scheduled backups, see this article on the Cron Backup Utility.
If you are looking for the IIS/ASP version of Zipit click here: Zipit Backup Utility for Cloud Sites - IIS.
How it works:
- Runs on a per-site basis. The Zipit Backup Utility must be installed for each site you want to back up.
- The Zipit Backup Utility backs up all Cloud Sites files and databases to your Cloud Files account.
- Lists all available backups. Available backups can be managed via the Cloud Control Panel.
- The Zipit Utility works for sites/database up to 4gb once compressed.
- Download this file and save it to your local machine as "zipit-install.php" without the quotes.
- Upload the zipit-install.php file to the content folder of the site you want to backup.
- Open your web browser and navigate to http://yourdomain.com/zipit-install.php to access the web interface.
Note: Replace the highlighted text with your actual domain name.
- Enter your preferred username/password for the Zipit Backup Utility.
- Enter your Cloud Files username and API Key.
- Click 'Install' to begin.
Check out the screenshot below!
*** Note Zipit will only run on a site that is configured as Linux/PHP
*** There is an IIS port of Zipit for sites that are configured for IIS/ASP. Instructions for using it can be found here.
By installing Zipit Backup Utility you agree that this feature is an Unsupported Service (as defined herein) and you also agree to the terms of the GPL License! See: GPL v3
If you use the tool described in this article, you agree that the tool is an “Unsupported Service”. Rackspace makes no representation or warranty whatsoever regarding any Unsupported Service, and you agree that Rackspace will not be liable to you for any loss or damage arising from the provision of the Unsupported Service. The Service Level Guaranties will not apply to the Unsupported Service, or any other aspect of your services that are adversely affected by the Unsupported Service. You acknowledge that Unsupported Services may not interoperate with Rackspace’s other services or other third party services you use.
© 2011-2013 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER