Set up Rackspace Email with Mac Mail
This article shows you how to set up your Rackspace Email account by using your Mac Mail email client.
Create an account
- Open Mac Mail and select Mail > Preferences.
- In the new window that appears, click the Accounts tab in the top menu bar and then click the plus (+) symbol in the lower-left corner.
- Select Add Other Mail Account… and then click Continue.
- On the Add a Mail Account page, enter the following information:
- Full Name - Enter in your first and last name. This is the name that will appear in the From field of messages you send.
- Email Address - Enter in your entire Rackspace Email address (for example, firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Password - Enter in the password associated with your email account.
- Click Create.
A message tells you that the account needs to be set up manually.
- Click Next and on the Incoming Mail Server Info page, enter the following information:
- Account Type – Select IMAP.
- Mail Server - Enter in the secure server name: secure.emailsrvr.com
- User Name - Enter your entire Rackspace Email address (e.g., email@example.com).
- Password - Enter the password associated with this account.
- Click Next, and on the Outgoing Mail Server Info page, enter the following information:
- Mail Server - Enter the secure server name: secure.emailsrvr.com
- User Name - Enter in your entire Rackspace Email address (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password - Enter in the password for your email account.
- Click Create.
Mac Mail creates the account.
Configure incoming and outgoing port numbers
- On the Account Information tab of the Accounts page, click the list next to Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), and then select Edit SMTP Server List.
- In the list of outgoing servers that are set up within Mac Mail, ensure that the one belonging to your Rackspace account is selected. Then, click the Advanced tab under the list.
- On the Advanced tab, select Use custom port and enter 465. Then, click OK.
- On the Accounts page, click the Advanced tab.
- In the IMAP Path Prefix field, enter INBOX.
- For the value of Port, enter 993.
Configuration is complete. You can close the Preferences window and start using Rackspace Email through Mac Mail.
Use IMAP Folders
To simplify the organization of your messages, you can indicate which IMAP folders Mac Mail uses to store sent mail, drafts, spam, and trash.
- Select Mail > Preferences and then click the Accounts button, at the top of the window. and click once on your IMAP account, as it appears in the Accounts list.
- Click once on your IMAP account, as it appears in the accounts list on the left.
- Click the Mailbox Behaviors tab, clear all of the check boxes, and close the Accounts window.
- When prompted to save your changes, click the Save button.
- In your IMAP folder list, located in the Mailboxes pane (select View > Show Mailboxes to display the pane if it is not visible), perform the folling actions for each default folder:
a. Click once on the Sent, Drafts, Spam, or Trash folder (the icons next to these will look like a folder).
b. Select Mailbox > Use This Mailbox For.
c. Select Sent, Drafts, Junk, or Trash from the resulting list.
The selected folder disappears from your IMAP list and then reappears as the corresponding Mail folder.
© 2014 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER