Creating a monitoring check using the Cloud Control Panel
This article describes how to create monitoring checks by using Cloud Monitoring through the Cloud Control Panel. Each of the monitoring checks that you can create with the Cloud Control Panel are based on predefined check templates.
You can view the settings for each check template in the Rackspace Cloud Monitoring Developer Guide.
Note: With General Purpose servers, Cloud Monitoring monitors only the system disk. The data disk is not monitored.
Create a Monitoring Check
- Log in to the Cloud Control Panel at http://mycloud.rackspace.com.
- In the list of servers, click the name of the server for which you want to create a check.
- On the server details page, scroll to the Monitoring Checks section and click Create Check.
- From the Check Type list, select the service that you want to monitor.
- Enter a descriptive name for the check in the Check Name box.
- If you selected the HTTP Check (website) check, enter the URL of the website that you want to monitor.
- (Optional: HTTP Check Only) Click Advanced Options and enter a word or phrase in the Body Match box that will appear on the page when it loads successfully. For example, you can do a body match on the copyright date.
The Check Region
Each check is configured by default to originate from the 3 regions: DFW, ORD, and LON. Once your monitoring check has been created, you can edit the Parameters under the Check Details to include additional regions, including: IAD (Northern Virginia), HKG (Hong Kong), and SYD (Sydney).
The Check Status
The check status is calculated by determining if there is an agreement from a majority of the monitoring zones (two out of three monitoring zones running the check). This method helps to avoid reporting false negatives. A check has to fail in two of the three monitoring zones before the check state is deemed CRITICAL.
The combined results of the check from all three monitoring zones determine the check's state. The check state can be one of the following:
Green = OK
Yellow = WARNING
Red = CRITICAL. The Technical Contact (the primary contact on the Rackspace account) will receive an email describing the situation.
The following example shows a check in the OK state and one in the CRITICAL state:
© 2015 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER