Backing Up an MS SQL Server 2008 Database
This article will walk you through the process of backing up an MS SQL Server 2008 Database. These actions need to be completed by the Administrator user or by a user that is part of the MS SQL Admin user group.
IMPORTANT NOTE: An On-demand snapshot or scheduled backup image of your Cloud Server is not a supported backup of an MS SQL database. Prior to creating a saved backup image of your server, you should complete the database backup as outlined below.
1. Open SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) from the Start Menu.
2. Connect to SQL Server using the proper credentials. For detailed instructions on connecting to SQL Server, please see the article Configuring SSMS to connect to SQL Server.
3. Expand Databases and locate the database you want to back up.
4. Right-click the database and select Tasks > Back Up.
The Backup Configuration window will open.
5. In the General page, select the database you want to back up.
6. Set the Backup type to Full.
7. Name the backup file and set the backup destination to the desired location on your server. If not sure where to save it, you can also leave it at the default location:
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backups
8. If you are overwriting an existing backup, click the Options page at the upper left to change the settings, and then press OK to start the backup.
9. You will see a confirmation when the backup is successful:
10. Now that you have a saved backup of your MS SQL Server, you can proceed with a Cloud Server snapshot or server resize operation.
© 2011-2013 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER