Rackspace Cloud Sites Essentials - PHPmyAdmin Database Management Interface
Note: This article is written for our Cloud Sites Control Panel. You can get to it from the Cloud Control Panel by clicking your name in the upper-right corner and selecting Cloud Sites Control Panel.
Now that you've successfully created your first MySQL database, lets take a look at the database management tool The Rackspace Cloud offers for Cloud Sites MySQL databases.
Its very easy to manage your MySQL databases with a server wide install of PHPmyAdmin. You can reach this interface at one of the following URLs, depending on the datacenter housing your database:
- DFW 1-1: https://mysql.dfw1-1.websitesettings.com
- DFW 1-2: https://mysql.dfw1-2.websitesettings.com
- ORD 1-1: https://mysql.ord1-1.websitesettings.com
Which datacenter is my database located in?
To find out if your account is located in our ORD or DFW datacenter, check the test link for your site. If your testlink includes dfw in the URL, such as www.domain.com.php5-2.dfw1-1.websitetestlink.com then your account is in DFW.
NOTE: Alternatively, you can download use other programs such as MySQL Gui Tools (Free: Windows, Mac, Linux), SQLyog or Navicat, from their respective providers, to manage your MySQL databases as well.
How do I login to PHPmyAdmin?
- First, log into the Rackspace Cloud Control Panel
- Navigate to Hosting->Cloud Sites.
- Click the domain name that the database exists under
- Click the Features tab
- Confirm that the database is active by scrolling to the Databases section. If the database is active. it will have a green check mark in the Status column:
- To view the details, click the hyperlink for the database, which should return a page like this:
- The user names are listed under the Database Users section. By default, there is only one user and this would be the user name you would use to log in to phpMyAdmin.
NOTE: If there are multiple users listed, you may log in with any of them. The number that prefixes the user name is the account number for the website owner (yourself or your client) and is important when logging in, so be sure to enter the user name exactly as it is listed on this page.
- The password is the password associated with the database user, which would have been chosen when you created the database and database user. Because this user is separate from your Control Panel account and FTP users, the password may or may not be the same as those users. If you cannot remember your database password, you can reset the password by clicking the user in the list and filling out the password form; however, be aware that your website code may rely on the existing password, so changing the password for a database user could cause database connection errors on your website! If you are working with a live website and cannot risk this password reset, contact a web developer for assistance.
With the information described above, you're ready to start working with the database. To do so, click the Online Manager link.
- A phpMyAdmin interface will display in the browser
- Enter the user name (including the numbered prefix as shown below) and password.
- Select the Hostname (on the details page) from the drop-down list. If you do not know what Hostname to select, please click here to locate your database Hostname
NOTE: The first part of the host name identifies the server choice.
NOTE: The server choices shown in the drop-down list may be different than what is shown in the screen shot above.
- Now that you're logged into phpMyAdmin, you can manage your MySQL database as necessary.
What do I do if my log in fails?
Make sure to double-check the credentials you have entered for accuracy.
Hard refresh your browser's cache by hitting Ctrl+F5 (PC) or CMD+Shift+R (Mac) and re-enter your credentials.
Reset your password in the Control Panel for your database user name.
If you have completed all of the above and you still cannot log in, contact support through our 24-hour Live Chat support, or by opening a new ticket.
© 2011-2013 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER