Managing My Server
The Cloud Control Panel lets you perform administrative tasks in as few clicks as possible. This article describes the different methods for performing server management tasks using the control panel.
Managing Server Types
There are two server types that can be listed in this section:
- Next Generation Cloud Servers powered by OpenStack.
- First Generation Cloud Servers, our legacy Cloud Server offering.
For a comparison of features, click here.
You can identify First Generation Cloud Servers in the Control Panel by the blue asterisk that follows the server name:
You'll also notice you can filter your servers by Type:
Performing Management Tasks on Your Server
You can use either the Actions cog or Actions menu to perform management operations on your Cloud Server.
Using the Actions Cog
When you open the Cloud Control Panel or click Servers at the top of the page, you'll see a list of your Cloud Servers. To the left of each server name is the Actions cog. Click the cog to view the operations you can perform on your server:
Using the Actions Menu
If you click on a server, the Server Details page appears. In the upper right corner of the page, you'll find the Actions menu. This menu contains the same operations that are available in the Actions cog.
You can use the Actions cog or Actions menu to perform the following server management tasks.
Identify Your Server
You can rename your server or add tags (descriptive labels) to it:
- Click Rename Server to change the server name.
- Click Tag Server to add new tags or remove existing tags. For more information on tags, see Using Tags.
Image and Recover Your Server
You can create an image of a server or rebuild a server from a previously saved image:
- Click Create Image to create a snapshot image of your server.
- Click Rebuild From Image to overwrite your current server with a previousy saved image or a new image of your choosing.
Manage Your Server
You can perform many of essential management tasks without logging directly into your server:
- Connect Via Terminal opens Linux shell window or Windows command prompt window so you can issue commands directly on your server..
- Reboot Server without logging into it.
- Resize Server to vertically scale your computing power (not available for all servers).
- Change Password lets you change the root password on Linux servers or the Administrator password on Windows. Note: This command requires an automatic reboot of your server. Remember to save your data before issuing this command.
- Delete Server lets you delete a server when you no longer need it. You will lose any saved data as well as the IP address assigned to the server.
Using the Edit Pencil
When viewing the Server Details page for a particular server, you'll notice a pencil icon next to items that are instantly configurable:
- To rebuild your server, click the System Image pencil to rebuild your server from a default Rackspace image or a previously saved image.
- To resize your sever, click the Size pencil to dynamically resize your server.
Carry on the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
© 2015 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER