Installing SSL Certificates on Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012
SSL certificates did not change much with the update from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Windows Server 2012. The following instructions, which walk you through the steps for installing SSL certificates, work for both versions.
Generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR)
1. In the IIS Manager, select the server name and then double-click Server Certificates.
2. Under Actions, click Create Certificate Request.
3. On the Distinguished Name Properties page of the Request Certificate wizard, complete all the fields for your certificate and then click Next.
4. On the next page, select a cryptographic service provider (the default is usually acceptable) and the bit length (the recommended minimum length is 2048). Then click Next.
5. On the next page, select where you want to save the certificate request file, and then click Finish.
6. After you get the certificate from your preferred SSL vendor in the IIS Manager, select the server and double-click Server Certificates.
7. Click Complete Certificate Request.
8. In the wizard, select the location of the certificate file.
9. Name the file and choose your store (Server 2012 only).
10. In the IIS Manager, right-click your site and select Edit Bindings.
11. In the Site Bindings window, click Add.
12. In the Add Site Binding dialog box, perform the following steps:
A. Set the value of Type to https.
B. (Windows Server 2012 only) Specify the host name, if necessary. For Windows Server 2008 R2, the host name is
C. From the SSL certificate list, select your certificate.
D. Click OK.
After the binding is set up, the Site Bindings window shows the binding for HTTPS.
13. In the IIS Manager, double-click Server Certificates.
14. In the Actions pane, select Import.
15. Select the location of your certificate file, enter the password (if you have one), and choose your certificate store (Windows Server 2012 only). Then, click OK.
Carry on the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
© 2015 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER