How do I get started with RackConnect?
In order to build a hybrid hosting solution that leverages the security of dedicated servers with the flexibility and service offerings of the Rackspace Cloud, you need to use RackConnect to allow the two types of resources to communicate and work together. Contact your Dedicated Account Team to get your RackConnect deployment set up. If you are new to Rackspace, call us at 800-961-2888 to open a new dedicated hosting account and to learn more about the capabilities of a hybrid implementation.
Setting Up a RackConnect Configuration
1. Contact your Dedicated Account Manager or Account Management Team and let them know you would like to get RackConnect set up in your environment. They will get the process started by having network engineers assess your configuration for RackConnect compatibility and readiness.
- If you don’t yet have a device that is compatible with RackConnect, our sales and account teams will work with you to upgrade your environment.
- If you do have a compatible device, your account team will assess your device for RackConnect readiness (software versions, an available physical interface). After the device has passed the qualification checks, the RackConnect implementation process starts.
2. When you begin the RackConnect implementation process, you receive a ticket in the MyRackspace Portal that outlines the steps that will get your environment ready for RackConnect.
- When you receive the ticket, you will have access to the RackConnect Management Interface in the MyRackspace Portal. From the main menu in the portal, navigate to Network > RackConnect to review your configuration details, track the status of your implementation, and start setting up your Cloud account and network policies.
- RackConnect engineers run the physical cabling to connect your network device to our Cloud network, as well as set up the configuration on your device to support RackConnect automation.
3. To help keep the RackConnect implementation process moving as quickly as possible, we encourage you to associate an existing Cloud account to your RackConnect Configuration. If you do not already have an existing Cloud account, you can set one up by using the online signup process in the MyRackspace Portal via the online signup process. See the following section for instructions on associating your Cloud account with RackConnect and completing the setup of your network policies.
4. After we have completed the necessary steps and your RackConnect configuration is ready to use (typically within 5-10 business days of receiving the ticket in step 2), you receive an update in the ticket telling you that the implementation is complete.
To use RackConnect, you must complete the process detailed in the next section for at least one Cloud account.
For videos that demonstrate the steps in this process, including an overview of the RackConnect Portal interface, creating Network Policies, and adding a Cloud Account to RackConnect, visit the Community -> Video Knowledge Base section of the MyRackspace Portal.
For a collection of recommendations for using RackConnect, see RackConnect Best Practices.
Associating Your Cloud Account with Your RackConnect Configuration
1. Ensure that your Cloud Account is linked to your Dedicated account. Verify this from the MyRackspace Portal by navigating to Products -> Rackspace Cloud -> Cloud Accounts (my.rackspace.com/portal/cloudAccount/list). From that screen, you can either link an existing account or sign up for a new account.
2. In the Cloud Accounts section, click the Add to RackConnect link and select the appropriate RackConnect configuration to associate it with. (In most cases, you will have only one RackConnect configuration).
3. After establishing the association, Rackspace begins the process of validating the provisioning region for both Cloud Servers and Cloud Files, checking that they match the region (or data center location) of your Dedicated environment. If there are any discrepancies, a RackConnect engineer works with you to resolve them. You can track the status of these steps by selecting the newly associated Cloud account in the RackConnect Management Interface (Network -> RackConnect -> yourCloudAccount) and selecting the Tasks tab.
4. Set up your network policies to define the access that you want to allow between your Cloud Servers, your Dedicated environment, and the Internet. You can do this by selecting the Cloud account under the RackConnect Management Interface and selecting the Network Polices tab (Network -> RackConnect -> yourCloudAccount -> Network Policies tab). You can also use one of the available Network Policy Templates for an easy way to get started.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Do not create any servers in your Cloud account until you receive confirmation that your Cloud account is set up in our automation system and that your RackConnect configuration implementation is complete (if this is a new configuration). Any Cloud Servers created before these steps are complete will not be able to participate in your RackConnect configuration unless you save an image of them and rebuild them after the implementation process is complete. Therefore, we encourage you to create Cloud Servers only after you receive confirmation from us that your RackConnect configuration and Cloud account are ready for use with RackConnect. You will also want to verify that you have network policies in place to allow traffic to and from your Cloud Servers before creating new Cloud Servers.
© 2011-2013 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER