How do I create a domain/subdomain that points to a website hosted elsewhere?
Follow these directions to point a domain/subdomain to a website that's hosted elsewhere:
1. Log in to your control panel at https://manage.rackspacecloud.com.
2. Create the new domain or subdomain under the correct account. If you have any questions on how to do this, see the article How do I add a website?
3. Once the domain/subdomain is set up in your account, you will need to add a php redirect to the web content folder using FTP. For more information on how to do this, including using FTP, see How do I add content to my website?
4. Next, you'll need to create the actual php redirect using a text editing program (like Notepad or Wordpad). Start by opening the text editing program and entering:
<? header("Location: http://Insert_URL_Here"); exit; ?>
Now after where it says "Location:" you will need to enter the actual URL that you want to point to (i.e. http://www.yourdomain.com/). Save this file as "index.php."
5. Next, login to your new subdomain's FTP server.
6. Navigate to the "/www.yourdomain.com/web/content" directory.
7. Upload the index.php into this folder. Once completed, the redirect should be fully functional.
© 2015 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER