Getting Started With Cloud Sites - Rackspace Nameservers and Creating Custom Nameservers
Note: This article is written for our Cloud Sites Control Panel. You can get to it from the Cloud Control Panel by clicking your name in the upper-right corner and selecting Cloud Sites Control Panel.
The Rackspace Cloud nameservers are:
To change your nameservers from your current registrar's to point to the Rackspace Cloud:
- Access your account with your current registrar (godaddy.com, register.com, etc).
- Change the nameservers to dns1.stabletransit.com and dns2.stabletransit.com.
Your current registrar may offer "transfer lock" or a similar service as a security measure to prevent unauthorized transfer of your domain name. If this feature is activated, you will need to log on to your account with your current registrar in order to unlock the domain.
To unlock the domain, you must have access to the administrative email address you used when first registering the domain. Your current registrar will send an email to this account that will require a reply from you, confirming that the transfer is authorized. If you do not have access to this email address, contact customer support for help. You can do a WHOIS search to find the administrative email and the current registrar for the domain. See How do I do a WHOIS search? for more information.
All DNS changes take up to 48 hours to take effect. During this time you can check your website by using the test URL (i.e. www.yourdomain.com.websitetestlink.com).
What about custom nameservers? Let's discuss how custom nameservers can be configured.
Configuring custom nameservers can be done differently depending on where your DNS is currently hosted.
Below we've gathered the steps to setup custom nameservers based on some of the most commonly used DNS providers.
To register new nameservers or update existing nameservers with OpenSRS, follow the directions below.
- Login to your account at manage.opensrs.net by entering your domain name, user and password, then clicking "Manage Domain"
- On the domain management page you will scroll to the bottom of the page where you will see a link titled "If you want to create or modify a nameserver which is based on yourhostdomain.com click here" (Ignore the nameservers link in the main top menu!)
- On the next page scroll down to the section titled "Create nameserver". In the first field enter the host prefix for you first server (example: ns1). In the second box enter the IP address for the nameserver you wish to create. Click the "Create Nameserver" button.
- Repeat step 3 for your second DNS server (ns2)
- You will now see your DNS servers listed on the page where you can edit or delete the
To register new or update current nameservers with Dotster, follow the directions below.
- Open up your account information at Dotster and click the My Domains tab.
- Click the domain name you want to add the nameservers for. (not the checkbox)
- In the Name Servers section, choose the 'Register NameServer' link.
- Fill in the form with your nameserver name and IP address.
If your domain is registered with Enom, follow the directions below to register new or update current DNS servers
- Log in to your account at enom.com
- From the site menu select.. Domains >> Advanced Tools >> Register a Name Server
- That will bring up a page with forms for adding new nameservers and updating old.
- Add the nameserver name to the form (i.e. ns1.yourdomain.com), enter the old IP for the DNS server (if updating), and enter the new one provided in your migration complete email.
- Click the Update button and you are done.
To register new nameservers or update existing nameservers with Directi, follow the directions below.
- Login to your Domain Control Panel
- Search for the Domain Name you wish to manage Child Name Servers for from Domains >> Search >> Domain Registration Search
- Click the domain name you want to create Child Name Servers under
- Click the "Manage Child Name Server" button
- Enter the hostname (example ns1.youhost.com) of the Child Name Server you wish to create in the Add New Child Name Server box, then enter it's IP address in the second box.
- To Modify a DNS server make the modifications in the IP Address text box and click on "Modify IP Address"
To register new nameservers or update existing nameservers with Name.com, follow the instructions below.
- Log into your account.
- Click on the "My Account" image at the top of the page.
- Click on the appropriate domain name.
- Click on "Manage Name Servers" under the Control Panel navigation list.
- To add a new name server, enter the Host Name and IP address for each name server you wish to create.
- To modify an existing name server, enter the appropriate new IP address for the respective hostname and click Add. Click the "remove" link next to the old IP address for each hostname.
If you are hosting DNS at a provider that is not currently listed, please contact your DNS provider for steps showing how you would be able to configure custom nameservers.
Carry on the conversation in the Rackspace Community.
© 2015 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER