Getting Started With Cloud Sites: How To Add A New Website
Note: This article is written for our Cloud Sites Control Panel. You can get to it from the Cloud Control Panel by clicking your name in the upper-right corner and selecting Cloud Sites Control Panel.
This article will show you how to create your domain through the Classic Cloud Control Panel.
- Let's get started by first logging into the Classic Cloud Control Panel.
- Once we're logged in, navigate to Hosting->Cloud Sites
- Now let's click on the Add A Site button shown in the image below
- We'll now have a pop-up menu that will ask us two things:
- Who is this website for?
- What is the domain name?
- Once you've selected who the website will be for, and you've entered your new domain name, proceed by clicking Add New Site
- Next, depending on the domain name you are trying to add, you could be presented with one out of three different screens. You will either be asked to register your new domain name, pick a different domain name or that the domain name cannot be automatically registered or transferred. Let's take a look at each of these below:
Register New Domain Name
- If the domain name is available, you will be asked to register the domain name. You also have the option to choose the domain name without registering it
- NOTE: If you choose not to register your domain name, it will not be accessible for pubic viewing on the Internet.
- Once you have made your selection, click Next Step to proceed
Domain Name Already Exists
If you get the message that the domain is already taken, this means that someone has already setup this domain name on the Rackspace Cloud and it cannot be duplicated in our system. You can try a different domain name in the box below Domain Name and click Continue to proceed.
Domain Cannot Be Automatically Registered Or Transferred
If you get the message that the domain cannot be automatically registered or transferred, this means that the domain has already been registered and is not currently available to be transferred to the Rackspace Cloud. If you are the owner of the domain do not worry, you can still proceed with adding the domain to the Rackspace Cloud by clicking on Continue.
- You can proceed by simply clicking in the box next to "I already own this domain", and then clicking on Next Step
We're almost done! The only steps left will be to choose our websites default technology and any additional features you may need such as a database.
- The next page will offer you 3 different options. The first option will allow you to add Microsoft SQL Server Storage space.
- Below that, you will be able to choose a number of Databases you would like
- The last section will be where you will choose your websites default technology. For an extensive breakdown on the available technology in Cloud Sites, please click here.
- Click on Next Step to proceed once you have made your selections
- Last, you will review your order, and click on Finish once you have verified everything is correct. If you would like to make any changes to your new domain order, click on Back
NOTE: You may incur charges depending on whether you are registering or transferring a domain to the Rackspace Cloud. You may also incur additional charges if you have chosen to add Microsoft SQL Storage Space to your new website. Please use this review screen to ensure your order is accurate before choosing Finish to begin provisioning your new website. If you would like to view our current price guide for registering, transferring domains, or adding additional features to your Cloud Sites website(s), please click here.
This concludes how to add a new website to your Cloud Sites account. In the next article we'll discuss how to upload content to your new website.
© 2015 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER