Creating an Outbound Program Allow Rule for Windows Firewall (Windows 2008)
Creating an Outbound Program Allow Rule
1. Launch Windows Firewall with Advanced Security by clicking on Start > Administrative Tools > Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.
2. Select Outbound Rules in the left pane and click New Rule under Outbound Rules in the Actions Pane
3. The New Outbound Rule Wizard will launch. Select Program and click Next.
4. This screen is to determine if this rule applies to all programs or a specific program. If it is for all programs select that option (image 4a) or if this rule is to apply to a specific program (image 4b) then you will need to click the "This program path:" radio button and then browse to the specific program. Click next to continue.
5. Since this is for an allow rule you will need to select weather to allow this traffic for all connections (secure and insecure) or only if the connection is secure. If you require the connection to be secure you can also specify if it also requires Encryption or if it overrides block rules. Click Next to continue.
6. On this screen you can select which profiles the rule applies to. Domain applies when the inbound connection is coming from a computer within the domain. Private applies when the inbound connection is coming from a source that has selected Private for it's profile. Public applies to all connections coming from a source whose profile is set to Public. You can select one, two or all three. Click Next to continue.
7. This is the screen were you will give the rule a name and any description you would like to specify. Click Finish to create the rule and go back to the main screen.
© 2011-2013 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER