Create a domain or subdomain that points to a folder on an existing Cloud Sites website
Note: This article refers to the Cloud Sites Control Panel. You can access this interface from the Cloud Control Panel by clicking the Cloud Control Panel menu at the top of the window and selecting Cloud Sites.
The Cloud Sites Control Panel does not provide the ability to create an alias that points to a folder other than the website's web root. To point to a folder other than the website's web root, you must use a redirect script. Perform the following steps.
- Log in to the Cloud Sites Control Panel.
- Create the new domain or subdomain under the correct account. If you have any questions about how to do this, see Getting Started With Cloud Sites: How To Add A New Website.
- After the domain or subdomain is set up in your account, add a PHP redirect to the web/content folder by using FTP. For information about how to do this, including using FTP, see Getting Started With Cloud Sites, FTP/SSHFS/FTP Clients.
- Using a text editing program (like Notepad or Wordpad), create a file with the following PHP redirect on your computer. After
Location:, enter the URL that you want to redirect the website to (for example,
<?php header("Location: URL"); ?>
Using the example link, the full script would look as follows:
<?php header("Location: http://www.example.com/subdirectory"); ?>
- Save this file as index.php.
- Log in to your FTP client.
- Select the website from the list of websites associated with your ftp user name and password.
- Select the web folder.
- Select the content folder.
- Upload the index.php file from your computer to the content folder.
© 2015 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER