Viewing and resetting your API key
The Cloud Control Panel is a GUI tool for accessing all of your Rackspace services, but there may be times when you want to manage your assets through a scripting interface like the application programming interface (API). See our catalog of APIs for reference.
Before you can start using Rackspace APIs, you need to have your API key. Your API key is a unique alphanumeric identifier associated with your account that is used for universal authentication commands for all of your services.
To view or regenerate your API key
- Open the drop-down menu below your Account name in the upper-right corner of the Control Panel and select the Account Settings link.
- To view your API key, click on the link labeled Show next to API Key. You can copy and paste the API key from this screen.
- To create a new API key, click the Reset link. A confirmation window displays.
- Click the Generate New Key button to confirm.
- Your new key is displayed.
Note: When you regenerate your API key, any third party applications such as iDevices or Android applications are disconnected until you set the new API key in your application. If you are using your API as a part of a server code with a site or application, the site or application will also break and could potentially affect your day-to-day operations. We recommend updating your API key for any application you had connected with the previous API.
Where to go from here
Now that you have viewed or regenerated your API key, continue with the rest of the tour of the Cloud Control Panel with an Overview of the Billing Services available to you.
© 2014 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER