Rackspace Auto Scale Control Panel User Guide - Introduction
Welcome to Rackspace Auto Scale - the easy way to scale your cloud resources up or down in response to an increase or decrease in overall workload and based on your defined thresholds.
After reading this guide you will understand the following information:
- What Auto Scale does and the core concepts that drive it
- The Auto Scale current policy options and how group configurations affect policy execution
- How to use the Auto Scale control panel to create a scaling group and policies
- Where to go next to get the most out of Auto Scale
You can use Rackspace Auto Scale to perform the following tasks:
- Create a policy to add more servers at a specific time of day on a recurring basis or just one time, use cron to set the schedule, or use a webhook to respond to an event and trigger a policy; and set a policy to scale back down
- Add and remove a specific number of servers or a percentage of your total resources
- Support your dedicated servers by adding—and removing—cloud servers based on a schedule
Before you can use Rackspace Auto Scale, you need to have in place the following:
- A Rackspace Cloud Server account. To sign up for a Rackspace Cloud account, go to the Rackspace Public Cloud signup page.
- Server image or images that you have configured with all needed applications and settings, and that will be ready when the server is booted. You can do this with various programs such as Chef, Puppet, Salt, etc. You can create your image(s) with the API or through the Cloud Control Panel. See the Cloud Servers Developer Guide for information on the API.
- (Optional)Load Balancer, one is allowed per group of 25 server images. You can create a load balancer with the API or the Cloud Control Panel. See the Cloud Load Balancers Developer Guide for information on the API.
Once you are set up, there are some concepts you should understand. We address those on the next page, Concepts.
User Guide Sections
- Rackspace Auto Scale Control Panel User Guide - Introduction
- Rackspace Auto Scale Control Panel User Guide - Concepts
- Rackspace Auto Scale Control Panel User Guide - Creating Scaling Groups
- Rackspace Auto Scale Control Panel User Guide - Creating Scaling Policies
© 2011-2013 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER