Managing Backups for Cloud Databases
You can perform the following operations on your Rackspace Cloud Databases instances.
- Create a backup
- List details of all backups for the account
- List details of all backups for an instance
- Delete a backup
- Restore a backup
Create a Backup
To create backup of a database instance, click the Actions cog next to the name of the instance you want to backup, and select Create Backup. Once selected, a dialogue box will open, asking for a backup name and description.
You can also create a backup by clicking on the instance name and selecting the Create Backup... link on under the Instance Details section.
- The name of the backup is required, and the maximum length for the name is 64 characters.
- Backups are stored directly in your Cloud Files account and you will be charged for the storage used. Standard rates for Cloud Files storage fees apply.
WARNING: The behavior of your instance during a backup depends on the storage engine that you are using for tables. If you use only InnoDB, write access to your database instance is not suspended. Conversely, if you have MyISAM tables, those databases are write-locked during the backup process.
Things to Consider
- While the instance is being backed up you will not be able to add/delete databases, add/delete users, or delete/stop/reboot the instance.
- You can only run one backup at a time. Duplicate requests will receive a 422 error.
- Backups are not deleted when the instance is deleted. You must delete any backups that are not required.
- During a backup, the backup files will be saved directly to your Cloud Files account. The process creates a container called z_CLOUDDB_BACKUPS and places all the files in it. In order for the restore and deletion of backups to work properly, you should not move, rename, or delete any of the files from this container.
List Details of all backups for the account
To view list of all the backups, you can click on the Backups link in the top menu row next to MySQL Instances. You will see the following details for your backups:
- The Backup Name assigned by the user.
- The instance that was backed up.
- The date the backup was created.
- The most recent date the backup was updated.
List Details of All Backups for an Instance
To view all the backups for an instance, click on the instance name to view the Instance Details page. there is a link for all the backups associated for that instance.
Delete a Backup
To delete a backup you can click on the Actions cog next to the backup name.
You can also delete any backups for an instance from the Instance Details page.
Restore a Backup
To restore a backup, click on the Actions cog next to the backup name.
You can also restore any backup for an instance from within the Instance Details page.
Once the option to restore a backup has been selected, you will be prompted to enter the instance name, flavor, and volume size of the backup that needs to be restored. The volume size will be set by default to the value of the original size of the database before the backup. You must specify a volume greater than that of the original size of the database.
All user accounts, credentials, and access permissions that were saved on the instance at the time of the backup will be restored along with the databases. Once restored, you can create new users or databases, but they cannot be the same as the ones from the instance that was backed up.
© 2015 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER