Installing IIS 6.0 on Windows Server 2003
Note: Rackspace no longer offers Cloud Servers with Windows 2003, but these instructions are here for legacy support purposes.
Installing IIS (IIS 6.0) on a Windows Server 2003
This article walks through setting up IIS 6.0 on Windows Server 2003 via the Configure Your Server Wizard in Windows Server 2003. There are two other ways to install IIS that we won't address here: installing IIS via Add/Remove Programs and an Unattended Setup. For more information on these methods, please see the following article:
NOTE: You must be a member of the Administrators group on the local computer to perform the following procedure. As a security best practice, log on to your computer by using an account that is not in the Administrators group, and then use the runas command to run IIS Manager as an administrator. At a command prompt, type runas /user:Administrative_AccountName "mmc systemroot\system32\inetsrv\iis.msc".
Installing IIS using the Configure Your Server Wizard
1. Click Start > Manage Your Server.
2. Under Managing Your Server Roles, click Add or Remove a Role.
3. Read the preliminary steps in the Configure Your Server Wizard and click Next.
4. Under Server Role, click the application server (IIS, ASP.NET) and then click Next. (By default, the wizard installs and enables IIS, COM+, and DTC.)
5. If you want to serve either of the optional technologies (FrontPage Server Extensions or ASP.NET), on the Application Server Options page, select the appropriate check boxes, and then click Next.
6. Read the summary to verify your selections and click Next.
7. When prompted for the installation CD-ROM, click Browse and point to C:\factory\i386 (Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 x86) or C:\factory\AMD64 (Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 x64).
8. Complete the wizard, and then click Finish.
Congratulations you have successfully installed IIS 6.0 on Windows Server 2003!
© 2015 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER