Installing Gallery on Cloud Sites
NOTE: This article is written for our Classic Cloud Cloud Control Panel. You can access this interface from the New Cloud Control Panel by clicking your username in the upper-right of the control panel and selecting "Classic Cloud Control Panel".
This article will lead you through prepping your CloudSites domain to host a php based photo gallery using "Gallery", an open source and readily available site application.
If you have not already done so, goto http://gallery.menalto.com/ and download the latest stable release of Gallery.
Here is the link that was current at the time of this article:
http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?group_id=7130&filename=gallery-2.3-typical-en.zip or http://codex.gallery2.org/Downloads
Setting up the Sites
- Create your new domain from the Classic Cloud Control Panel with minimum requirements being PHP 4, and MySQL 4 or 5. If you need assistance, you can go here: How do I add a website?
- Once the domain has finished creating, create your database. To do this, click on the 'Features' tab from the top menu. Click 'Add', and then select 'MySQL 4 or 5'. Type in whatever name you would like to call the DB, type in a username and password of your choice. Follow prompts to finish creation. (You may want to write down the information provided, the hostname, database name, database username and, database password.)
Prepare your data
- Extract the content of the Gallery file you downloaded earlier to your local computer.
- Open up your FTP client software and login to your new domain. If you are not familiar with uploading content, go here: What FTP software should I use? and use the information to connect provided here: Getting Started With Cloud Sites, FTP/SSHFS/FTP Clients . Your best bet will be to upload everything inside the ‘gallery’ folder contained within the .zip file you downloaded to your web/content folder.
- Once the files have finished uploading, you are ready to get started with the installation of the Gallery and its settings.
Configure the Site
- The information needed here is provided when you created your Database, if did you not already write them down, you can view this by logging into your Classic Cloud Control Panel and select your domain from the list. Click on the features tab and select the database from the list. After you click it, you will see all the info you need, except for the password. This is only known to you.
- Fill in the DB Hostname: with the hostname you now have. DB Username: with the database username you created, Fill in DB Password: with the password you created, Fill in DB Name: with the database name you created as well. Once you have filled in those fields, click Continue to Step 6.
- The admin account username and password for Gallery will be auto generated. Make sure to write this down because you will need it.
- Click Start Using Gallery.
You have now successfully installed Gallery. Please keep in mind that this is a very much used and known PHP application, just like any well used software it is susceptible to exploit. The best way to protect yourself and your data is to update your software regularly, I recommend joining their mailing list, this will keep you up to date on releases and security problems, so you can react accordingly.
© 2011-2013 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER