How to Migrate Using the Self-Service Tool
This article will demonstrate how to use the Self-Service Migration Tool provided in your Email Control Panel to copy email data from your previous provider to Rackspace Email and/or Microsoft Exchange. These steps show the use of our private label version of MigrationWiz. Some of the features that are present in the full version of MigrationWiz (at migrationwiz.com) are not readily available within this portal. You may use the full version if you choose to. For information on doing so, please see Accessing the Full Version of MigrationWiz.
Before you begin your migration, you will first need to create your mailboxes on the Rackspace environment. Please note the migration tool will not create your mailboxes for you. Below are links that will assist you in creating your mailboxes.
Rackspace Email: How to add Rackspace Email mailboxes
Microsoft Exchange: How to add Microsoft Exchange mailboxes
Remember to keep the usernames and passwords handy for both your previous service and our environment. The migration tool will require that you enter this information.
In order to ensure that mail is routed properly to your new mailboxes, the MX records will need to be updated for your domain. The following link will provide you with the appropriate DNS records.
Updating your MX Records
For configuring your email clients and mobile devices, feel free to use our amazing Email Configurator!
1. Click Here to log into your control panel and get started
2. In order to create your self-service migration portal, click Get Started with MigrationWiz Now.
3. You will be redirected to the MigrationWiz portal. In order to get started, we will need a valid way to communicate with you about your migration. Please enter a contact email address in the Email Address box, agree to the Terms of Service (BitTitan is MigrationWiz), then click Login . You will then see a notification informing you that an email with a secure link has been sent to your email address.
4. Here is what the email will look like:
5. It's now time to locate your existing email service server information. First, you will need to determine what kind of service you have (POP, IMAP, or Exchange). Once you have this you can find your server information as follows:
For IMAP: If you use Outlook, the incoming server address can be found under your account settings. It typically looks like this-mail.domain.com OR imap.domain.com
If you only use webmail, your server address will be a portion of the webmail URL. For example, if your webmail address is https://webmail.domain.com, then your server address will be webmail.domain.com
For Exchange: Your Outlook Web Access (OWA) address will be the best way to connect. This is where you would go to check your mail via an internet browser. It typically looks like this: https://mail.domain.com/owa OR /exchange
Then, click Next .
6. Now you will enter this information into the first phase of your migration. First, select the source server system type from the dropdown (POP, IMAP, or Exchange). Then enter the server address from step 5. For IMAP, you will also need to enter a port number. Imap ports are 993 (secure) and 143 (non-secure).
For the destination server, select the service that you are migrating to- Rackspace Email or Microsoft Exchange 2013. Then, click Next.
7. Enter the email address, username and password for the source (other email service) and destination (Rackspace) mailbox(es). You may migrate multiple mailboxes by clicking the + symbol or by inputting your mailbox information into the spreadsheet provided. Then, click Next.
8. Now you are at the Trial Migration phase! This trial will ensure that connectivity is successful to both the source and destination mailboxes based on the information you entered. Click Next to begin the trial migration.
9. When you see the status of ‘Ready for migration’, click Next to go through the payment screen and then begin the actual copy of your data.
10. At this time you will need to pay for your migration licenses. Please specify your payment information, agree to the Terms of Service, then click Next.
11. You may now start your full migration! Click Next to begin. For a list of factors that influence the duration of your migation Click Here.
12. After your migration has completed, you may run another pass by selecting Migrate new items. For more information on running 2nd passes Click Here.
13. After selecting finish, you will see the 'My Migrations' link (also located at the top right-hand corner of your migration portal). Here you will find a list of all of your projects. In order to begin a new project, click Start a new migration.
© 2014 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER