How do I connect to Cloud Sites via MSSQL Management Studio?
NOTE: This article refers to the Cloud Sites Control Panel. You can access this interface from the Cloud Control Panel by clicking your username in the upper-right corner of the control panel and selecting Cloud Sites Control Panel.
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express provides a graphical management tool for SQL Server.
To connect via Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, first please ensure that you have installed the latest version of SQL Server Management Studio as well as any available service packs. As of the last update of this article, SQL Server Management Studio 2008 was available at this link:
To make an external connection, you will need the external IP address for your database. You can see the IP address for your database by following these steps:
- Login to your Cloud Sites Control Panel at https://manage.rackspacecloud.com.
- Click on the Hosting button on the left navigation menu. Then select Cloud Sites.
- Click on the domain name that the database exists under.
- Click on the Features tab.
- Select the database name that you would like to connect to.
The IP address will be listed as the Alternate hostname on this page.
How to Connect
To connect using the IP address, launch Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and the connection dialog should open (if not, click on the File menu and then Connect Object Explorer...). Ensure you have selected Database Engine from the Server type drop-down menu. Copy and paste the Alternate hostname you found in your control panel into the Server Name input box in SQL Management Studio. From the Authentication drop-down menu select SQL Server Authentication. Input the primary username for the database into the Login input box and that user's corresponding password (keep in mind that the username should be prefixed by an account ID, so you must use the full username of 123456_user and not just user). Last, ensure that you have entered in the correct Port number. To successfully connect, you will need to use port 4120.
To ensure that your queries run properly, click on the Connection Properties tab at the top of the dialog box--if you cannot see the Connection Properties tab, click the Options >> button at the bottom right of the dialog. Once you're on the Connection Properties tab, input your database name into the Connect to database input box. Once you've completed this final step you're ready to connect, so click the Connect button at the bottom and you're ready to go!
- Only the primary dbo (database owner) can make remote connections to the database; this means the original user added to the database is the only one that is allowed to connect via MSSQL Management Studio. Any secondary users that have been added who need to make changes must use myLittleAdmin to connect.
© 2011-2013 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER