How can I use Cloud Files for data backup?
Using Cloud Files as a backup tool is straightforward. Use the steps in this article to set up your own data backup to your Cloud Files service.
Note: If you would like for us to provide Cloud Backup as a service, see http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/backup for information.
- Plan your backup schedule, identifying critical resources and necessary frequency.
- Collect all the critical resources (backup data) in a secure local location or directory with any needed sub directories.
- (Optional) Compress the content of the backup directory with security and encryption.
This optional step will save storage and bandwidth costs and increase security.
- Log in to the Cloud Control Panel.
- At the top of the panel, click Storage and then select Files from the menu.
- On the Cloud Files page, click Create Container.
- In the popup dialog box, name the new container, select the region and type, and then click Create Container.
For more information about selecting a region for your Cloud Files, see Multi-region support in Cloud Files.
- (Optional.) If you prefer to create a folder to group your uploaded files, perform the following steps:
- Click Create Folder.
- In the popup dialog box, name the folder and then click Create Folder.
- To add files in the folder, click the folder name to open the folder before completing the following step.
- Individually upload the backup data files that you created in step 2 to the container.
- Click Upload Files.
- Click Open.
- Update your backup records with the current date as the date of the last backup.
© 2015 Rackspace US, Inc.
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
See license specifics and DISCLAIMER