This is a guest post written b y Itamar Haber, AVP Ops & Solutions at Xeround, a Rackspace Cloud Tools Partner. Xeround is an elastic, always-on database-as-a-service for MySQL-based applications built on Rackspace Cloud Servers.
Having spent most of my career around databases and the applications that use them, I can attest from experience that scaling the database tier in the dynamic environment of the cloud is a lot harder than scaling the application. You want to ensure elasticity and availability of your database; but you don’t want to be bogged down by the manual configuration/ optimization/ management/ development/ and everything else required to ensure your database is working smoothly.
This is where Xeround comes in. We offer a simple, yet extremely powerful, database-as-a-service for MySQL apps built on top of Rackspace Cloud Servers. We aim to make the experience of running your database in the cloud and ensuring its availability and elasticity as plug-and-play and as automated as possible. Here are some unique features:
• Fully compatible with MySQL so no code changes are required for porting your existing apps.
• No architectural or coding considerations are required to ensure availability or enable scaling – we take care of all of that for you.
• Xeround is the only cloud database that provides unlimited linear scalability for both database throughput and size, with no downtime.
• Our Auto-Scaling capabilities enable your database to scale across multiple nodes when additional capacity or throughput is needed (based on rules you set), and to shrink back down when it is underutilized.
• Xeround’s patented technology utilizes virtual partitions that hold a (configurable) number of copies of both the data and the indexes. This unique replicated, self healing architecture ensures high availability and resiliency of your database in the event of failure.
I invite you to try out our beta and create your free cloud database with a click of a button.
Date: Tuesday, May 3rd
Time: 2pm CDT
Topics of Discussion: Creating a new Cloud Database and connecting to it, Automatic Scaling, Auto-healing