VPN Gateway, Firewall And NAT Capabilities Now Available In The Open Cloud
Filed in Product & Development by Sameer Satyam | May 30, 2013 8:23 am
Rackspace customers can now use the Brocade Vyatta vRouter, a software-based networking appliance, in the next generation open cloud.
The Brocade Vyatta vRouter, which is available now through a Limited Availability Program, is a comprehensive networking and security solution that provides you with VPN gateway functionality, a powerful and easy-to-configure network-based firewall, NAT and routing capabilities. With these capabilities, you get the benefits of increased security and the ability to expand your IT resources in the Rackspace open cloud while minimizing costs.
Here are some of the ways you can use the Brocade Vyatta vRouter:
- Virtual Private Network (VPN) Gateway: Build a VPN tunnel from your data center into the Rackspace Cloud. You can use a standards-compliant VPN device from almost any vendor at the other end of the VPN connection. You can also provide secure remote access for users in your company to connect to your resources in the cloud. The Brocade Vyatta vRouter supports both IPsec and OpenVPN.
- Firewall: Secure your cloud infrastructure with a network-based firewall that can perform stateful, IPv4/v6 packet inspections to intercept and inspect network activity and help protect your critical data. The Brocade Vyatta vRouter supports zone and time-based firewalling. You can say goodbye to tinkering with iptables rules on each of your Cloud Servers.
- Network Address Translation (NAT): You can provision application and database servers without public network interfaces, while still allowing your servers to access the Internet for OS updates and patches using Source NAT. Or you can hide your web servers behind the Vyatta with Destination NAT. This gives you added security in your cloud infrastructure with even less exposure to the Internet.
- Routing: If you want to create application tiers on different isolated networks by leveraging the capabilities of Cloud Networks, the Brocade Vyatta vRouter enables you to easily build connectivity between these isolated networks giving you greater flexibility in building secure applications.
With the Brocade Vyatta vRouter you pay an hourly price based on the size of the instance you select. The minimum instance size needed to run the appliance is 1GB. Please refer to the US pricing webpage or the UK pricing webpage, depending on your region.
APPLYING FOR ACCESS TO THE BROCADE VYATTA VROUTER
If you would like to apply for access, please visit the Brocade Vyatta vRouter Limited Availability Program page.
In the “Limited Availability” phase, you will be able to run production workloads and receive Fanatical Support 365x24x7. Please note that we have not released the UI functionality in the Rackspace Cloud Control Panel, which means that you will need to use the Command-Line-Interface (CLI) to configure the appliance for your specific purposes and scenarios. In addition, the Brocade Vyatta vRouter is available today only for Core Cloud accounts, which means RackConnect customers and Managed Cloud customers will not be able to participate.
We are actively working on exposing the functionality of the Brocade Vyatta vRouter in the Control Panel and on extending our support to customers with Managed Cloud service levels. Watch this space for more updates soon!
To learn more about the use cases, configurations and operation of the Brocade Vyatta vRouter, please see the following reference articles:
- Quick start guide
- Firewall basics
- Outbound NAT
- Site-to-Site VPN
- L2TP/IPSec VPN
- VPN trouble-shooting
- Accessing Rackspace services via Isolated networks using SNAT
- Supported actions through control panel
As always, we deeply value your feedback and look forward to helping you deploy secure and distributed applications in the Rackspace open cloud.
Please see http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/servers/vrouter/ for more details.
- Rackspace open cloud: http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/
- Cloud Servers: http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/servers/
- Brocade Vyatta vRouter Limited Availability Program page.: http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/servers/vrouter/apply/
- RackConnect: http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/hybrid/rackconnect/
- Managed Cloud: http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/managed_cloud/
- Quick start guide: http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/a-quick-start-guide-to-launching-the-vyatta-network-appliance
- Firewall basics: http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/configuring-interface-based-firewall-on-the-vyatta-network-appliance
- Outbound NAT: http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/configure-internet-access-for-cloud-servers-using-snat-on-vyatta
- Site-to-Site VPN: http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/configure-a-vpn-between-regions-using-the-vyatta-appliance
- L2TP/IPSec VPN: http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/configure-vpn-access-using-a-vyatta-appliance-on-a-private-cloud-network
- VPN trouble-shooting: http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/trouble-shooting-a-vyatta-site-to-site-vpn-connection
- Accessing Rackspace services via Isolated networks using SNAT: http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/accessing-rackspace-services-via-isolated-networks-through-the-vyatta-network-appliance
- Supported actions through control panel: http://www.rackspace.com/knowledge_center/article/vyatta-network-appliance-supported-actions-through-control-panel
- http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/servers/vrouter/: http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/servers/vrouter/
Source URL: http://www.rackspace.com/blog/vpn-gateway-firewall-and-nat-capabilities-now-available-in-the-open-cloud/