Talking About DNS – Google+ Hangout Recap
Filed in Cloud Industry Insights by Drew Cox | July 16, 2013 3:00 pm
My co-host Alan Bush was out for this Hangout as he is on paternity leave with a new baby! We’re all awaiting his return, but glad that he is getting to spend some time with his newly expanded family. This past week in the Google+ Office Hours Hangout, we turned our attention to DNS, the address book for the Internet. You can click any of the links in the below bullets to go to that point in the Hangout, or you can watch the entire Office Hours on DNS by clicking here or going to the bottom of the page.
- We covered some of the DNS best practices, including registering the domains that are similar to your primary domain (or one that could be “fat fingered”) as well as ensuring that you keep control of your domain.
- The group later discussed DNS Propagation and why you want the Time To Live (TTL) numbers to have the lowest possible value, this will allow users to access the new site as fast as possible. The higher the TTL, the longer it takes for information to propagate.
- Having a load balancer in front of your configuration, whether you have a single server or a multi-server environment, can take the DNS implications off the table so that you can respond to a configuration issues or changes without worrying about the DNS impact.
- Hosting your DNS with Rackspace is one way that we are able to further support your configuration. While there may be reasons you want to either host your DNS yourself or with another company, doing so can tie our hands when it comes to assisting you with DNS issues.
- We discussed CNAMEs and how they can be applied to containers in Cloud Files to get a URL that is clean and logical rather than a mishmash of letters and numbers.
That’s the wrap-up for DNS! Our next Cloud Office Hours will be this Thursday at 1:00 p.m. CST, and stay tuned for an announcement on the Rackspace Google+ page. This will be the Third Thursday Q&A where we open the floor to your questions, so be sure to ask a question in the comments for us to answer. See you then!
- the address book for the Internet: http://youtu.be/G_sEZN4wC4I?t=5m40s
- Office Hours on DNS by clicking here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sEZN4wC4I
- DNS best practices: http://youtu.be/G_sEZN4wC4I?t=9m38s
- DNS Propagation and why you want the Time To Live (TTL) numbers to have the lowest possible value: http://youtu.be/G_sEZN4wC4I?t=18m22s
- load balancer in front of your configuration: http://youtu.be/G_sEZN4wC4I?t=24m58s
- DNS with Rackspace: http://youtu.be/G_sEZN4wC4I?t=28m8s
- URL that is clean and logical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sEZN4wC4I
- Rackspace Google+ page: https://plus.google.com/+RackspaceHosting/posts
Source URL: http://www.rackspace.com/blog/talking-about-dns-google-hangout-recap/
Copyright ©2014 The Official Rackspace Blog unless otherwise noted.