Ready Your Site For Holiday Traffic: Google+ Hangout Recap
Filed in Cloud Industry Insights by Alan Bush | October 1, 2013 3:59 pm
Brace yourself: the holiday shopping season is coming. If you are in the ecommerce industry you must be prepared for the influx of seasonal traffic as more and more people begin to shop online. We focused this Hangout on information we hope viewers will find beneficial as they prepare for one of the busiest times of the year. In addition to posting some of the highlights from the show below, I have embedded the entire video of the Hangout at the bottom of this post.
- One of the first things you can do is set up a load balancer in front of your configuration. This will allow you to bring additional servers online to help support the traffic without having to make a DNS change, ultimately preventing you from having downtime to make that DNS change.
- Drew discussed some of the best practices for creating a layered, scalable architecture. He emphasized that you want to have your infrastructure setup in a way that you can apply resources where resources are needed. For example, if your database is under load you want to make sure that you can focus the extra resources on that section of your stack; having a modular setup will help you achieve this.
- Having a hybrid cloud solution is one way to handle heavier traffic by taking advantage of dedicated hardware alongside cloud hardware. If this is a solution that could be beneficial to your company, you want to begin this investigation now to ensure that all the gear can be set up for you to test on before the rush hits.
- Load testing is crucial because you need to know the baseline of what you can handle. You can then scale your configuration and test again to see how that baseline might shift. Knowing what load would cause your site to fail is a very important data point to have as you begin planning for the holiday season. Our Cloud Tools partner New Relic can help you see when your site will go down, and also why it will go down. This actionable information is important.
These are some of the highlights of our Hangout on scaling for the holiday rush. I would encourage you to watch the video in its entirety and if you have any further questions be sure to give us a call at Rackspace. We will have our next Office Hours Hangout this Thursday at 1:00 p.m. CST and we will discuss hybrid cloud solutions for ecommerce. I hope to see you there!
For more information, check out this two-minute video on five tips to survive the holiday rush.
- set up a load balancer in front of your configuration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8qnNDfVSwU&feature=share&t=23m54s
- best practices for creating a layered, scalable architecture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8qnNDfVSwU&feature=share&t=36m07s
- advantage of dedicated hardware alongside cloud hardware: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8qnNDfVSwU&feature=share&t=40m06s
- need to know the baseline of what you can handle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8qnNDfVSwU&feature=share&t=46m04s
- Cloud Tools partner New Relic: https://cloudtools.rackspace.com/apps/347?1625398067
- hybrid cloud solutions for ecommerce: https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/c1kajaibonu9s3j24e6pmdk6tc8
- five tips to survive the holiday rush: http://www.rackspace.com/blog/are-you-prepared-for-the-holiday-rush/
Source URL: http://www.rackspace.com/blog/ready-your-site-for-holiday-traffic-google-hangout-recap/
Copyright ©2014 The Official Rackspace Blog unless otherwise noted.