This past week we had a special Cloud Office Hours, where we got to interview some of the engineers behind the Rackspace Deployment Services. We recently launched this service in our Cloud Control Panel, enabling users to automatically deploy infrastructure for popular apps, frameworks and building blocks of the cloud using tried-and-true best practices. I cover some of the highlights below, but this is going to be one Hangout that you don’t want to miss and I encourage you to watch the entire video embedded at the bottom of the post.
- If you are a developer and interested in checking out the Rackspace Hybrid Cloud or even how our Deployment Services works, you can now do so on our dime! We recently unveiled our Developer Discount program, which gives developers a $50 credit per month for the first six months.
- Rackers BK Box and Ryan Walker gave an introduction and overview to our deployment engine. With a couple of clicks, you can easily spin up a highly scalable WordPress environment, a modular Rails environment or a number of other things. Ryan said that the concept of Deployments came up as a way to bring together knowledge about deploying specific apps or frameworks to the cloud in one space. BK mentioned that they both came from our Support organization and wanted to help streamline similar requests.
- I pointed out that Deployments is not only powerful because of how easy it is to deploy an app to the cloud, but also because you can do this in a repeatable way. Ensuring that there is consistency between each deployment enables customers to have carbon copies of test, staging and production environments is a way to help ensure rock solid code.
- In addition to standing up the infrastructure for an application, Deployment Services also needs to configure the application on those servers. To help do this the team opted to use Chef. Whenever possible, the team tried to use open source cookbooks so users would know what is happening under the hood in addition to contributing cookbooks back to the community.
- If you are a customer using Rackspace Deployment Services and want to offer feedback or request new features, Ryan said you could do so by clicking a feedback link in the Cloud Control Panel. The team has been able to make quick turnarounds for some feature requests and welcome customer feedback!
For more information about the Rackspace Deployment Services, be sure to check out the landing page or go to this post and video on our DevOps blog. As a reminder, our next Google+ Office Hours Hangout will be this Thursday at 1:00 p.m. CST during which we will explore our brand new Geekdom creative collaboration space in San Francisco. I hope you are able to join us. We will see you then!