This past weekend over 100 Rackers gathered at 8am on Saturday morning to transform Walzem Elementary School. Walzem Elementary is one of the schools that Rackspace has dubbed the “Magnificent Seven” – the seven schools that are a part of the Roosevelt Cluster. Walzem Elementary is the second school Rackspace has adopted with our partner, North East Independent School District, since moving to the company’s new office off Walzem Road. Rackspace Chairman, Graham Weston, Assistant Superintendent Dr. Alicia Thomas, and Principal Laura Huggins were all there to provide words of gratitude before the project began.
In just over four hours, Rackers pulled together and produced an outstanding project:
• Beautiful core value posters throughout the school
• New artwork and Walzem Elementary Logos on two stairwells
• Upgrades to both teacher lounges with new furniture, paint, and art!
• A new mediation room for teachers to relax!
• A new HUGE banner welcoming people into the school
• A stage full of supplies for the entire school!
• Upgrades to both computer labs with beautiful art work
• An new outdoor classroom that includes:
o A sensory garden for the kids with 10 planter beds
o A new mulched pathway
o A new landscaped stone garden
o Outdoor seating
o New trees and flowers
• An amazing mural that was hand drawn for Walzem Elementary!
Principal Laura Huggins couldn’t believe the change that had occurred in one day! According to Laura, “I can’t wait to show my students all the learning opportunities that are available in the new outdoor classroom!”
See below for a video of the project: