Google+ Hangout Recap: If IT Is The ‘How,’ The Business Is The ‘Why’
Filed in Cloud Industry Insights by Alan Bush | September 3, 2013 2:56 pm
In last week’s installment of our Cloud Office Hours Hangout, we talked about some of the business use cases in the cloud. We had recently discussed some of the very specific IT use cases, but we wanted to take a step back and look at the business needs that informs those IT uses. You can watch the full video at the bottom of this post, but I have gone ahead and listed some of the highlights with a link to the point in time that the topic came up in the Hangout.
- Racker Drew Cox mentioned that the driver of your IT “how” is the business “why.” He said that you have to understand the purpose of a project before you can determine how you want to accomplish it. At Rackspace, we are not only available to the technical side of an organization, but also to the business side to help in the approach of providing a full fledged solution rather than throwing infrastructure at a problem.
- Frequent contributor Jeffrey Olsen sees the need for business leaders and management to invite the IT to have a seat at the table as new ideas are discussed. More than ever before, any solution proposed to a problem will most likely incorporate an IT component. As a business owner or manager, you need to recognize this shift so you can leverage technology to make you better in your business.
- Customer Skip noted that he could quickly bring up a cloud solution as a sandbox for developers to test out ideas. Jeff then went on to ask Skip if he received any pushback from the business for wanting to move to the cloud, and how he got around any objections. Skip explained that he overcame objections by taking the time to educate stakeholders on the benefits of cloud hosting, how the platform has matured and some of the ways that it could provide budget savings. It was interesting to hear some “real world” questions that are customers are answering as business becomes more interested in the hybrid cloud.
- One thing to remember is that every business is different. There are different drivers and needs that must to be met, such as whether a business is seasonal or consistent. There are items like budget, speed and security that are universally important to businesses, but the ranking of these needs may be different between organizations. At Rackspace, we look to tailor a solution that not only fits the requirements of a business, but also to the relative degree of importance between each one.
Those were some of the highlights from our previous Hangout! We are going to be back in action this short workweek on Thursday at 1:00 p.m. CST. Join us for an “Ask the Engineers” session with the engineers behind our new Deployments automation engine. Be sure to visit Rackspace’s Google+ Events page for more information and to register for the event. We’ll see you then!
- full video at the bottom of this post: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AAU0lyBmO8
- IT “how” is the business “why.”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AAU0lyBmO8&feature=youtu.be&t=12m45s
- contributor Jeffrey Olsen: https://plus.google.com/118142642360710133859/posts
- business leaders and management to invite the IT: http://youtu.be/9AAU0lyBmO8?t=14m29s
- he could quickly bring up a cloud solution: http://youtu.be/9AAU0lyBmO8?t=19m59s
- “real world” questions that are customers are answering: http://youtu.be/9AAU0lyBmO8?t=20m17s
- hybrid cloud: http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/hybrid/
- different drivers and needs that must to be met: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AAU0lyBmO8&feature=youtu.be&t=49m35s
- Deployments: http://www.rackspace.com/blog/cloud-applications-automated-for-you-rackspace-deployment-now-available-to-all-customers/
- Rackspace’s Google+ Events page: https://plus.google.com/u/0/events/cqpdu0ckqsc452rb21s20g7h0i4
Source URL: http://www.rackspace.com/blog/google-hangout-recap-if-it-is-the-how-the-business-is-the-why/
Copyright ©2014 The Official Rackspace Blog unless otherwise noted.