Since October, you have heard a lot of news from us – beginning with the announcement of our cloud strategy at the Rackspace Cloud Event and the acquisitions of Slicehost and Jungle Disk. We’ve also seen our Cloud Sites service scale to become the largest cross-platform solution in the platform as-a-service (PaaS) market, hosting well over 100,000 applications, many of them high profile web sites, and pushing billions and billions of page views each month.
Today we have yet another set of news to announce:
• Cloud Servers available Monday: Cloud Servers, our pay-as-you go server instances, goes live on March 16th, marking the formal availability of a complete cloud suite: Cloud Sites + Cloud Files + Cloud Servers. We are now proudly the only cloud provider with a comprehensive offering combining a server and storage on-demand service as well as a .NET and LAMP platform-as-a-service offer. You can use our familiar control panel to instantly size your compute capacity, add a site, consume storage, and – best of all – pay only for what you use. Pricing starts at $0.015/hour or $10.95/month. Check out the details here.
• Cloud Files – out of beta: Today Cloud Files, our online storage service and CDN-enabled static content serving engine, is officially out of the beta phase, and ready for prime time, making its debut with several new features. See details here.
• Jungle Disk on Cloud Files: Our sister company, Jungle Disk, providing online backup software, now offers the option to store data on Cloud Files, paving the way for a unified buying experience and new simple pricing.
You will also notice a new Rackspace Cloud logo replacing the Mosso logo. While we are still a totally focused cloud division within Rackspace, our ties enable us to offer you unique, game-changing benefits: Fanatical Support – our legendary and undying commitment to customer service – and Hybrid Hosting – the ability for customers to combine traditional dedicated hosting with cloud and email services to deliver affordable and optimized IT solutions. Read more about it on the Jungle Disk blog.
What does this mean for you?
Control – Delivered. Cloud Servers Available Monday.
Cloud Servers provides inexpensive compute capacity that can be instantly sized to meet your needs, so you never again have to deal with planning and predicting lead times. From the same control panel that you use to interact with Cloud Sites and Cloud Files, you can run anything you please on your favorite Linux distribution – Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, Centos, Fedora and Arch. Billing is calculated on an hourly basis – not monthly – so you pay only for what you use. You can forever say goodbye to high hosting bills that cover what’s mostly unused, just-in-case capacity. On March 16, you can start your virtual instance for less than two cents per hour. And, as always, all of our offerings are backed by Fanatical Support. This means that we will go the extra mile to ensure that the network, hardware, and virtualization layer are running with no glitches, and that you can reach our fanatical technical support experts to help you at any time, day or night.
Store, Scale, Share – Fast. Cloud Files Out of Beta Today.
Cloud Files, our scalable and affordable web-based storage system, is the first and only cloud service to leverage a tier-one CDN to deliver a complete, pain-free, hosting solution for storing and delivering media content. As of today, Cloud Files is no longer a beta offering. We’ve tested the service time and time again, eliminated the need for weekly scheduled maintenances and added new features. Cloud Files is officially ready for prime time, and it’s backed by Fanatical Support.
New Cloud Files features available today:
• Chunked PUT requests
• Increased name limits on Containers/Objects
• JSON/XML list output
• Pseudo-nested folders/directories
• Ruby API
Click here to see Cloud Files in action.
Jungle Disk Porting to Cloud Files
We’re pleased to announce that our sister company, Jungle Disk, now supports a second online storage provider, Cloud Files, giving users a choice of where they want to store their data. Today, it is easier than ever to integrate Cloud Files into your local file system – as if it were any other drive – using Jungle Disk’s super simple software.
Uptime and Service
Both Cloud Servers and Cloud Files live in some of the most robust and reliable infrastructure in the world, and run on the Rackspace Zero-Downtime Network. And, we’ve got large crews of cloud experts 100% focused on fine-tuning the infrastructure to ensure it is running just like you’d expect.
As a part of the Rackspace family, Fanatical Support is a given. Cloud Servers and Cloud Files customers will have immediate access to our enthusiastic team of friendly experts all right here, in the heart of San Antonio, dishing out immediate, unscripted help by phone and through live chat – 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
And we’re still pushing forward!
We’re still pushing the envelope on progress and working everyday to make the Cloud increasingly more ready for business. We have continued to rapidly evolve our Cloud Sites platform to offer more features with the recent release of the new control panel, the ability to be PCI compliant, and the ability to use shell access. There are, however, still a few key areas where we are eager to build out and improve our cloud portfolio:
• While APIs are the foundation of any cloud service, our Cloud Server APIs are not quite ready for their debut – but they are on the way! For an early look at our APIs, send us an email at Cloudserver_API@mosso.com. Watch for several partners who will soon actively support The Rackspace Cloud including Aptana, Encoding, rPath, RightScale, SOASTA, and Sonian.
• Our future also holds Windows support on Cloud Servers, global availability of cloud services, and much more…
• Uptime, of course, is a crucial foundation of any service in the cloud, and one that we constantly work to perfect. We have increased our systems team by 30% over the past three months, and are working to create a service dashboard to empower cloud customers to check the status of their sites at a glance.
Want to speak with one of us? Head out to our Rackspace Cloud SXSW Lounge Party on Monday, March 16 at 4:00 PM. Many of us will be there. We’d love to meet you. Register to attend the event on Facebook and, if you want a VIP pass, your best bet is to track down Rob La Gesse at the festival.
Thanks so much for being a part of the Rackspace family, and please keep the feedback coming so that we can continue to build the most complete and easy-to-use cloud platform on the web. Give us a call at 1-877-934-0409 or hop on our live chat to speak to one of our experts. You can follow us on Twitter and you can always reach me at email@example.com.
Mosso | The Rackspace Cloud