Agility In The Cloud: Google+ Hangout Recap
Filed in Cloud Industry Insights by Alan Bush | August 6, 2013 3:00 pm
Last week we discussed the importance of being agile in the cloud. This Hangout was based on a post from Wayne Wall’s Pillars of Cloudiness series in which he looked at the five core building blocks all cloud apps should have. Below are some of the more major bullet points, hyperlinked to the moment in time we discussed them in in the Hangout. I have also embedded the video of the entire conversation at the end of this post. Don’t forget to come Hangout with us this Thursday at 1:00 p.m. CST on the Rackspace Google+ page.
- Everything comes back to DevOps, combining your development and operations teams to work toward a common goal. By making this upfront investment, you can create a team that maximizes how agile you can be in the cloud. Hart Hoover recently spoke on moving your team to a DevOps structure at OSCON.
- Racker Drew Cox talked about the merits of starting your adoption of the cloud  with a test or development environment. As you become familiar with the cloud, consider incorporating it into a staging environment, and then ultimately using it in your production environment.
- Drew explained that a key component to being agile is having the capability to pivot as needed. He emphasized that users need to stay knowledgeable about the latest features and developments of cloud computing to make the best decisions possible for their application. The ability to incorporate newer technologies into your application can make a major difference to the performance of your site.
- Our customer and Hangout contributor Jeff Olsen advised people to stop being a “server hugger” and instead leverage block or object storage options to offload data from being on one server. Drew took it a step further to advocate third party solutions to help make your application more agile by offloading some of your workload to them.
- Furthermore, incorporating a third party tool can enable you to speed up your time to market. As your application matures, you can determine whether that tool is adequate for your needs or if you need to make a customer solution tuned to your needs. You can check out our Cloud Tools marketplace for tools that have been easily integrated with our product offerings.
Those are some of the highlights from last Thursday’s discussion on agility. Remember, we are going to be back in action this Thursday at 1:00 p.m. CST when we will host a Hangout on the Rackspace Google+ page about horizontal scaling, another one of the Pillars of Cloudiness. We’ll see you then!
- Pillars of Cloudiness: http://www.rackspace.com/blog/tag/pillars-of-cloudiness/
- embedded the video of the entire conversation at the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvZxVZjJuF8
- Rackspace Google+ page: https://plus.google.com/+RackspaceHosting/posts
- comes back to DevOps: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvZxVZjJuF8&feature=youtu.be&t=11m54s
- your team to a DevOps structure at OSCON: http://www.rackspace.com/blog/moving-your-team-to-devops-to-leverage-the-hybrid-cloud/
- starting your adoption of the cloud : http://youtu.be/cvZxVZjJuF8?t=13m37s
- being agile is having the capability to pivot as needed: http://youtu.be/cvZxVZjJuF8?t=18m31s
- Jeff Olsen: https://plus.google.com/118142642360710133859/posts
- stop being a “server hugger”: http://youtu.be/cvZxVZjJuF8?t=29m18s
- advocate third party solutions: http://youtu.be/cvZxVZjJuF8?t=38m26s
- incorporating a third party tool can enable you to speed up your time to market: http://youtu.be/cvZxVZjJuF8?t=42m17s
- Cloud Tools marketplace: https://cloudtools.rackspace.com/
Source URL: http://www.rackspace.com/blog/agility-in-the-cloud-google-hangout-recap/
Copyright ©2014 The Official Rackspace Blog unless otherwise noted.