Exporting PST Files Using ExMerge on Exchange 2003
ExMerge is a Microsoft utility used to extract data from mailboxes on a Microsoft Exchange Server. The program copies data from a source server into .PST files. These files are used to move data from your current in-house Exchange environment into your Rackspace Exchange accounts. Note: ExMerge does not export public folders and will only work with mailboxes.
Step 1 – Downloading ExMerge
If you do not have Exmerge, download Microsoft ExMerge here.
Step 2 – How to use ExMerge
ExMerge has a 2GB limit on the size of a mailbox that may be exported. The 2GB limit is after the export is complete, so the size of the file prior to the export must not exceed roughly 1.85GB.
- Open Exmerge.exe on your local server.
- Select Extract or Import (Two-Step Procedure).
- Select Step 1: Extract data from an Exchange Server Mailbox.
- Enter the name of the Exchange server you are exporting from and leave the Optional Information boxes blank.
- If you have several Available Databases, choose the location of the mailbox to be exported.
- Select the mailbox or mailboxes to be exported.
- On the Locale Selection page, click Next.
- Select a directory where the files will be exported.
Step 3 - Confirm File Creation
Once the wizard has completed the export, it will automatically close. Locate and review the .PST file in the specified folder.
Tips for a Successful Export
For files larger than 2GB, use the Options button on the Source Server page and click on the Dates tab. You can then specify a date range for the .PST being exported to help reduce size.
Issues that may occur when exporting data with ExMerge are:
- Incorrect permissions. You may be able fix this by creating a new service account.
- Information store is dismounted.
- User account associated with the mailbox is disabled.
- Not enough disk space in the location where the .PST files are being stored.
- Mailbox is over 2GB in size.
- Corrupt items in mailbox. If this happens, your only option is to export using Outlook. ExMerge will not export corrupt items.