Manage Global Access Rights
You can control how users access services and check their email, such as requiring SSL or disabling POP or IMAP. Note: To learn more about setting access rights for a single mailbox, please see the help topic, "Manage Access Rights."
To adjust access rights for an entire domain, log into the control panel, and perform the following steps:
- Mouse over the Go to section drop-down menu and select Rackspace Email.
- In the Other Services section, click the Settings link.
- If you have multiple domains, select the appropriate domain name. Or, to change domains at any time, click the change domain link.
- Click the Global Access Rights link.
- You can grant or restrict access to various services. Each "service" is a different way of accessing email that is stored on the email server. Note: "SSL" and "TLS" indicate that the services incorporate security technology to protect the user’s data. Select the check box for each service you want to enable, or clear the check box for each service you want to restrict/disable:
POP3 and POP3 (SSL)
Email is downloaded to the user’s computer and is then deleted from the email server. It’s best for users who consistently use the same computer.
IMAP and IMAP (SSL)
Email is stored on the email server only. The user manages email directly from the server, rather than downloading the email to a computer. It’s best for users who need to manage email and email folders from multiple locations—such as at the office, on the road, and from a mobile device. Users also benefit from having their email automatically backed up every evening; if a user accidentally deletes email, it can be easily retrieved—even up to 14 days later.
Webmail and Webmail (SSL)
Webmail provides anytime, anywhere access to email stored on the email server. With Webmail, a user can read, send, and manage email—just like using desktop email software. It's best for users who need to access and manage email (and email folders) from multiple locations—such as at the office, on the road, or from a mobile device.
The SMTP service allows the user to send email. If you disable SMTP, the user will not be able to send email using the SMTP server. (SMTP is an always-secure service.)
Select the option button for the way the changes should be applied.
- Click the Save button.