An email alias is an email address that does not have its own mailbox; instead, email sent to the alias email address is automatically sent to the associated mailbox or mailboxes. For example, the alias firstname.lastname@example.org can point to email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com. Each of those recipients (Joe, Mary, and Bill) would receive the message that was sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The control panel allows you to manage alias settings per alias or per mailbox. This gives you the flexibility to view all mailboxes associated with an alias, or all aliases associated with a mailbox.
To create a new alias, log into the control panel, and perform the following steps:
- Mouse over the Go to section drop-down menu and select Rackspace Email.
- In the Email Accounts section, click the Aliases link.
- If you have multiple domains, select the appropriate domain name. Or, to change domains at any time, click the change domain link.
- Click the Add Alias button.
- Enter a unique name for the alias’ email address in the Create New Alias box.
- To add a mailbox to the alias list, select the mailbox from the Members inside this Domain box, and click the Add button. To select multiple addresses, press and hold the Ctrl key while clicking the addresses.
Note: You can have up to 50 internal aliases max.
- To remove a mailbox from the alias list, select the mailbox from the Members of this Alias list and click the Remove button. To select multiple addresses, press and hold the Ctrl key while clicking the addresses.
- To add an external mailbox (a mailbox that does not belong to the domain), enter the mailbox’s email address in the Email Address box, and click the Add button. Addresses must be added one at a time. You can add up to four external addresses.
- To remove an external mailbox, select the mailbox from the list and click the Remove button. To select multiple addresses, press and hold the Ctrl key while clicking the addresses.
- Click the Save button.